Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Graphic Novels and Food

Just looking at my to read and just read piles and have discovered that there have been quite a few graphic novels in the past while.

I have read and reviewed both dirtcandy and Get Jiro!. dirtcandy is a vegetable cookbook with interludes of pictures while Get Jiro! is a straight up novel with chefs as heroes and villians. The other two books that remain unread at this time are: In the Kitchen with Alain Passard and Relish: My Life in the Kitchen. These final two are partially biography and partially cookbooks. The Alain Passard has been recently translated into English and is not his first foray into the graphic novel format. Relish is drawn by the author, Lucy Knisley and tells about her life with food and gives a few recipes.

These two mediums, food and comics, seem to be made to go together. Eating is, at first, a visual experience. So much of your expectation of a meal is bound up in our sense of sight. If something looks unappetizing, it may never make it to your nose or mouth.

I wonder if I have not noticed a whole bunch of these books before or if this is finally going to be a thing. So far, my experience has been pleasant and I look forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment