Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Food Trends: Seaberry

In the past two weeks, there have been two products that have had seaberry in them.  One was Ricola and the other was a tart at Earth Rosedale, a restaurant close to work.  The seaberry is some sort of orange berry from the sea buckthorn bush that is tart. 

Unfortunately, I can't give you good explanation of the flavour as I was only able to try the throat drops.  The tart was missing in action at Earth Rosedale but I did try their smoked sugar and vanilla panna cotta.  The server described the tart as sweet sour and one of her favourites.  They used juice from Everspring Farms from Wingham. I would guess the berry and juice would be similar to cranberry in terms of how to work with it. 

I am intrigued by the little taste that I had and I will be curious to see if this makes its way into the mainstream.  I would like to get my hands on some fresh or frozen seaberry to see how it will taste.

1 comment: